Lough Hyne Visitor Centre at Skibbereen Heritage Centre
Discover Ireland’s first Marine Nature Reserve and unique salt-water lake.
Find out about the history, folklore and formation of this renowned natural phenomenon at Skibbereen Heritage Centre before you visit the lough, (5km from the Centre).
- Audio-visual on Lough Hyne shown in French, German and English.
- Film footage of underwater Lough Hyne and its extraordinary marine life.
- Learn about the long history of marine research at Lough Hyne since it was ‘discovered’ by scientists in 1886.
- Explore its rich history and folklore – the O’Driscoll castle, its holy wells and the fable of the king with donkey’s ears!
- Follow with an informed visit to the lake itself, (5km from Skibbereen Heritage Centre), with information on walks and other activities there.
Genealogy Service at Skibbereen Heritage Centre
Genealogy service for the greater West Cork area by appointment with our genealogy team. Trace your West Cork ancestry and research your family tree.
Our genealogists, Margaret and Deirdre, can help you trace your West Cork ancestry and are happy to help you by appointment or online.
- Catholic Church records for most local parishes up to 1911.
- Tithe Applotments, Griffith’s Valuation, local estate records, census & burial records.
- Local knowledge of place names, family histories etc.
- Personal service by appointment